Tools for Quick Fixes at Practice or Competition
There are tools and parts every fencer should carry with them to practice or competitions. The most common are listed below although you may find yourself adding to your collection over time. I suggest a small bag or tool box to keep in your fencing bag. A couple of things to remember are:
- Both an inside and outside key may not be necessary if your weapons all use the same type of pommel nut.The same tool can be used on both a foils and epees.
- Use either French or German parts and standardize your weapons to one or the other.
- Test Boxes are compatible with both foils and epee.
- A test weight for epee is heavier than one for foil. However, often the added weight for epee can be attached to a foil weight so you will not need to purchase two.
- You can often get a “kit” of tools from most equipment vendors. AbsoluteFencingGear.com and TheFencingPost.com sell them, for example.
Precision Flat Head Screwdriver, Inside Allen Key (6mm), Outside Hex Key (6mm), Test Box, Epee Test Weight, Test Shims
Epee Tip Screws, Epee Pressure (Large) Springs, Epee Contact (Small) Springs, Super Glue
Precision Flat Head Screwdriver, Inside Allen Key (6mm), Outside Hex Key (6mm), Test Box, Foil Test Weight
Armory Tools for Repair and Rewiring of Weapons
These are tools you wouldn’t need to to carry with you all the time but should have when rewiring your blades.
- Wires, Barrels, Tips, Screws and Springs for your weapons
- Crescent Wrench
- 5mm wrench for Foil Barrel
- 6mm wrench for Epee Barrel
- 8mm wrench for tightening foil socket nuts.
- Needle Noose Pliers
- Vice Grips
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Hack Saw or Bolt Cutters
- Utility Knife
- Wire Stripper
- Choice of Glue
- “Spaghetti” Tubing for foil and epee wires.
- Blade Bending Chain Rig
- Steal Wool
These are some other tools you may need rarely, if ever. Purchase only if needed.
- Blade Tangs Die – 6mm
- Epee Tip Die – 4 x .07
- Foil Tip Die – 3.5 x 6
- Heat Gun
- Soldering Iron
- Ball Peen Hammer
- Multimeter (continuity setting and alligator clip leads recommended)
- German Foil / Epee Barrel Reamer
- Mask Punch Tester
Here are some guides and videos on weapon repair:
- Wiring Blades: A DYI Guide – Fencing.net
- How to rewire an Epee – YouTube
- How to rewire a Foil – YouTube
- The Armorer’s Store – Armoring Videos